It might be very hard to buy the proposition that chocolate is good for your health. Most probably, all your life you have been bombarded with advice to limit your consumption of chocolate from childhood to adulthood. Mothers are known for telling kids to stop eating chocolate because it’s bad for the teeth and adults are told to keep their hands off chocolate bars because these will make them gain weight. It’s true that most chocolate candy bars will do this, but the chocolate in these treats is not the one to blame.
Chocolate in its pure form is actually very good for your health. Take away the milk, sugar and oil additives and you will get a bar that can do wonders for your body. This doesn’t mean that you have to eat dark chocolate in absurd quantities, around 100 grams a day is enough. You might also want to balance out your calorie intake for the day if you’re eating dark chocolates. It’s also best to choose chocolates that are the most free of additives like nougats, fruits, sugar and milk. You can usually see on the label the percentage of purity of the chocolate, and the higher it is, the more health benefits you can get from it.
Here are just some of the benefits you can get from eating dark chocolates:
- Dark chocolates are full of flavonoids, a form of antioxidant that protects the body’s cells. This helps the body ward off free-radicals which causes aging. Because of this, the body is also protected from the degenerative effects of aging such as certain diseases and conditions.
- The polyphenols in chocolates can help prevent heart disease. Polyphenols is another kind of antioxidant, the same kind that are also found in red wine. This antioxidant helps inhibit the oxidation of bad cholesterols in the body, preventing it from sticking to artery walls.
- Dark chocolate helps prevent atherosclerosis. Atherosclerosis is the thickening and narrowing of arteries, due in large part to platelets sticking together. Polyphenols help prevent this from happening.
- Dark chocolate helps reduce the risk of hypertension and helps lower blood pressure. Consuming a small amount of dark chocolate has been shown to lower blood pressure levels which can be particularly beneficial to people suffering from hypertension as well as other chronic diseases like type 2 diabetes.
- Chocolates can elevate a person’s mood. Chocolates contain the pleasure chemicals called phenethylamine, anandamide and theobromine. These chemicals are natural mood enhancers, so eating a bar of dark chocolate can do wonders to lift up your mood.
- Dark chocolate can help a woman through PMS. Women have low levels of serotonin days before they menstruate, a condition known as PMS. This probably explains why women crave chocolates usually during PMS because chocolates contain significant levels of serotonin.
- It can help you get the girl of your dreams. It’s no wonder that men use chocolates to woo girls, it’s because chocolates are known to be natural aphrodisiacs! This is mostly associated with the feelings of pleasure that one gets from eating it and giving dark chocolates as a gift to a loved one, the good feelings might just be directed to you.